Monday, July 16, 2007

A Touristical Weekend

Maya ruins in the jungle, all you can eat steak houses, Chamulan religious ceremonies, Latin American soccer cup, movies, drinks, friends. That was my weekend.

Anything particularly exciting? Not really. That's what made it so nice.

I wore the hat of the tourist which made me think about tourism and what I'm doing here.

A "tourist" is someone who "tours": to go through various places of interest for business, pleasure, or instruction.

A "traveler" is someone who "travels": to go through various places of interest for business, pleasure, or instruction. But it is also to proceed or advance in a way.

The differences are subtle but important. Traveling implies a transformation or evolution. This progress in traveling is the focus, rather than the place one visits in touring. That transformative experience is the elusive destination of all travelers. It cannot be planned fo. Transformative Experience is on no map I've seen.

The quest for the next experience is what drives travellers forever on to the next place. In the same way adrenaline junkies and xtreme sports enthusiasts look for the fastest speeds, the perfect waves, or the most dangerous stunts, so to are travellers compelled.

The travel bug bites hard and once again I've been injected with its intoxicating venom.


Am I a tourist? Obviously.

Rather than an ecotourist, or a sex tourist, or a health tourist, or an adventure tourist, I'd like to think I'm a investigative tourist. Investigative tourism focuses on learning, answering specific questions, and molding experiences to meet these goals.

No comments: