Wednesday, February 14, 2007

First day at work?


It's official! I am in the club. Instead of heading communications for one organization, I am going to be responsible for the sister organization as well. No pay, long hours, health and safety risks around every corner. What could I possibly be thinking?

This is no quest to find my true self in exotic lands; nor is this some decompression excursion after the stress of five years of the cheap and easy college lifestyle; nor am I hiding out for a few months from the real world to decide what I want to do with the rest of my life.

I am a student: a committed lifelong enquirer and learner. This is an intellectual expedition to expand my understanding and knowledge. I am hoping through this humble blog, folks following my trip too will pick up a thing or two here or there.

Three questions have formed in my mind over my time at school:
What shapes and directs urban development in this new century?
What shapes and directs local and global politics?
How can new communication technologies influence the political and community development?

HUGE questions. To begin to unravel them I have placed myself here: within a community that attempts to shift present paradigms of politics and progress through violent and non-violent means, and through traditional and new communication strategies.

Over the next few days I would like to examine each of these questions as I currently think about them while keeping you up to date on Valentine's Day fiestas, Zapatista rallies, and the pressures of the new job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who thinks up these grand questions? What happened to "How will I earn a living?", "Where will my next meal come from?", "Can I afford a car?", "Will I ever be able to afford a house?". "What happens if I come down with appendicitis? Will a Witch Doctor operate on me?". "Does my health insurance cover a Witch Doctor?"

Anonymous said...

Here's a young man who is willing to "walk the walk", not many are. He deserves to be commended, not ridiculed. Maybe he is a little naive about what could befall him in a third world country but he certainly will develop an appreciation for what we have here in the U.S. At least he is willing to see how the third world lives first hand.

Tim Dzurilla said...

Naivete is the palette on which the colors of experience paint knowledge and understanding.

We have the choice to embrass fear and caution in our lives, or a reckless curiousity towards the world we live in.

I appreciate that I have the resources and power to make this choice when so many other do not. I hope to make the best of this experience and ensure that I am able to share it with people long into the future.

Thanks for the comments.