Monday, February 19, 2007

A Regular Mexican Weekend

Beer flew into my Spanish teacher's face as an over-excited fan threw his hands up in disgust. The irrate fan was too busy telling the ref to engage in various acts with his mother to notice his mistake. A band of around 100 people stopped playing their rhythmic melody long enough to give the ref a coordinated and collective piece of their minds. Immediately afterwards, the traditional flutes were once again leading the congos, maracas, and singers in the endless string of songs throughout the game. After the game, the Chiapas crowd left pleased with the 2 - 1 victory over the Michoacan Monarcas.

A short bus ride home and I had just enough time to grab a quick bite to eat and head to the club where my teacher's band was playing. Being the only white face in the crowd was a lot of fun as the band played Mexican love ballads with whooping and hollaring. Good fun! I was chastized for leaving at one. "No one is even here yet!" It's going to take some practice I think to keep up with the late night dancing here.

Now, it's back to work. I have a new house I'm sharing with a couple of other gals and life is starting to take on some sort of schedule. One week in San Cristobal and the adventures have only just begun.

2 comments:

Rollbiz said...

Hey buddy, it's Robarge. Glad to see you're settling in down there. Did you liberate your ferret yet? Libre!

On a more serious note, nice job making your blog more than just a "this is what I did today!". It's a great read. Keep it up, stay safe, and stay cool with a chilly cerveza now and again!

Tim Dzurilla said...

Thanks Barge,

I figured you didn't really need to here about laundry and buying toilet paper (both seem to take a lot of time). I'll try to keep it up.

I've been crumby about photos. I have my batteries confiscated at the soccer game (I can understand the fear, I might have touched them end to end and made them heat up a little) and I've just started carrying it with my regularly.