Monday, February 12, 2007

San Cristobal de las Casas





I've made it. Despite delays from ferrits, illness, and other mishaps, I am at my ultimate destination for this little adventure of mine: San Cristobal de las Casas.

I arrived at 6:30 this morning and was pretty excited about everything. I checked my bags into a hostel and made way for where I'll be working. It was still early so I decided to walk to Iglesia de Guadalupe, a quite sanctuary at with a great view of the city.

Though the morning fog hadn't lifted I could see that the entirety of Real de Guadalupe was strung with Virgin Mary prayer flags leading all the way up to the church.

The view wasn't great from the top because of the mist, but it was great to sit and collect myself inside listening to prayers in different languages.

I went back to speak with Ernesto about work, but one of the women at the place said he won't be back until Tuesday or Wednesday. I spent the rest of the morning looking for a good language school. My favorite is located at the top of a hill over looking the city.

I forgot how many tourists were here. After being in Orizaba for three weeks I was beginning to forget tourists came to this country at all. We're easy to spoot: nappy heads, berets, scarves, fanny packs, spindly white legs poking out of shorts are all dead giveaways. Like lumps of pork fat in a can of bakedbeans, the tourist slog through the crowds; and just like cubes of fat, some relish in the richness it brings, while others would rather do away with it all together.

Luego

No comments: